Free Genealogy Resources Turns One!

Polka dot First Birthday Cake Ladybug
Image courtesy PinkCakeBox.

Free Genealogy Resources turns one today! It doesn't seem like it's been that long already. When I started out, I was sharing the links that I had already bookmarked. Once my audience grew, I began to seek out more free tools and databases.

Most Viewed Posts

The posts on this list the ones that were most viewed according to my Blogger stats.

1) Free Coupons for Scrapbooking-I suspect the traffic to this post may have been more from people searching for coupons, but I'll take it anyway. I hope that some of the visitors that came in search of coupons found the genealogy links and advice helpful and decided to stay a bit.

2) Have Any Black Sheep in Your Family?-Either a lot of us do have a black sheep in our family tree or we are hoping to find one. It's colorful ancestors like these that add life to our genealogy research.

3) Using Social Networking as a Genealogy Tool: Twitter-This post was the third in a series on using social networking to aid in your genealogy research. The first was one on Facebook and the second on using MySpace. In the coming year, I will be expanding this series to cover social networking sites designed specifically for genealogy.

4) Hillsborough, Florida Resource-Who knew that cemeteries in Hillsborough County, Florida would be so popular?

5) Missouri Resource-There must be a lot of readers with Missouri roots. I'll keep an eye out for more free genealogy resources for Missouri.

Most Retweeted

If you follow Free Genealogy Resources on Twitter, you know that I tweet to let you know whenever there's a new post. These posts were the most retweeted by my followers.

1) More Free Genealogy Classes-This was actually my second post about genealogy classes and webinars available for free on the web. If you want to check out the first, you can view it here.

2) There was a five way tie for second. Free Coupons for Scrapbooking (link in first list) makes the list again as well as Free Genealogy Resources for Hawaii, Resource for Names, Why Knowledge of History is Important for Genealogists and Using Google Alerts for Genealogy: A Step by Step Guide to Setting Up Alerts.

Where do Free Genealogy Resources readers live?

According to blog stats, in order of visits, my readers come from the United States, Russia, Canada, United Kingdom, South Korea, Australia, Netherlands, Israel, Germany and Argentina. I have to admit to being surprised by many of the countries on this list as the majority of my resources focus on genealogy in the United States.

How do Visitors Get Here?

Like many blogs, traffic comes from a combination of links from other sites and search engines. The two biggest spikes in traffic came this year after I submitted Free Genealogy Resources to Cyndi's List and Geneabloggers.

When it comes to search engines, I'm constantly surprised by the search terms that lead people here. Some of the stranger search terms include kamuf and north carolina ancestry insane asylum records. How these terms landed a visitor at this blog is a mystery to me.

3 comments:

  • Lisa Wallen Logsdon says:
    January 3, 2011 at 8:37 AM

    Congratulations, love the cake photo! I am particularly fond of #4 above as that is where I live. Although I have very few family members buried in Hillsborough Co. (even though I've lived here for over 55 years) this site has helped me help others on FindAGrave. Keep up the great work!

  • Susan Petersen says:
    January 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM

    Happy Blogiversary!

  • Amy Coffin, MLIS says:
    January 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM

    Happy #1!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
468x60 (static) Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.