I Did My 10. Have You?






If you haven't given back to the genealogy community yet or are looking for a new way to do so, you should volunteer for the Restore the Ancestors Project. For those not familiar with the project, it is a collaboration between Footnote.com, the South Carolina Department of Archives & History, FamilySearch and Lowcountry Africana.

Project volunteers view digitized images of estate inventories and bills of sale. When they come across names, dates or locations, they annotate them. By annotating them, they can then be searched. The digitized images and volunteer annotations will then be combined to form a collection that can be used by all for free.

Recently, I finished my first 10 pages and I will be returning soon to do more. It was slow going at first as some of the writing is difficult to read. The more pages I did, the easier it became and it occurred to me that in giving back, I'm also gaining valuable skills in return. By immersing myself into these documents, I'm becoming better at deciphering old documents, a valuable skill for any genealogist.

3 comments:

  • Sheri Fenley says:
    March 30, 2011 at 6:06 PM

    Way to go!

  • Amy Coffin, MLIS says:
    March 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM

    Congratulations! I recently did my 10 as well and found the experience very rewarding.

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    Georgene Pantelas says:
    April 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
468x60 (static) Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.